Saskatoon to Edmonton, Wednesday, 27 June 2012, Day 23

after the storm

Its official I am a bloody idiot and what a day it feels like I have just done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. This is the toughest day since I began this trip and this is why. I got up looked out of the window and it looked like it had been raining and was damp so I slowly pulled my kit together I was glad I had not been in the tent last night and I went outside to load the bike chatting to a guy about the wind as it was a bit blustery. Me telling him I come from Holland and I am used to riding in strong winds blah blah etc. I finally hit the road and have to cross the river same bridge as I had fun with last night and it not just blustery but the wind is quite strong and it is difficult to stay in my lane oh well onward and forward I stop to fill up with petrol I have to be careful that the bike does not blow over and I decide to skip breakfast for a bit and see what the weather is going to do it is still dry but there are strong winds. I hit the road out of town and within 5 minutes I was  regretting the fact that I had left the safety of Saskatoon and  I was being blown all over the highway fortunately it was a 2 lane highway and  I had very little traffic to contend with but the wind was horrendous so I decide to keep going struggling to get up to 100km an hour and the speed limit is 110km so for once on this trip on the right side of the law speed wise sanity wise I should not have been out there at all. I kept going just trying to get as many km under my belt as possible fighting the bike and the wind all the way I stopped looking at my instruments this was depressing 530km still to go and not any less at any speed. Then it started to rain so I tried to find shelter from the wind so that I could manage the bike and I pulled out all my wet weather gear I batten downed the hatches and I kept moving forward. After about 140km in North Battle ford I decided to stop for some food, as I needed some comfort food as I was not a happy bunny as I had been scared shitless for the last couple of hours. So Tim Horton’s for some nourishment. I took some comfort that maybe I not totally mad as I had seen 2 other motorbikes out on the road today. Time to hit the road again it was cold wet and windy and I was already knackered but I think the wind had let up a bit or I had just got used to it or I was getting hit from an another angle it seems easier not altogether pleasant but doable.

Next incident was the usual issue that there is never a petrol station around when you wanted one and I was busting for a pee and a poo (to much info I know but the next bit you will laugh at as it is relevant) I did a 10km detour to a 1 horse village with petrol station and I rushed in and asked for the loos and then had a hilarious struggle trying to get my waterproofs, boots and leathers off while trying not to piss and shit myself it was a close call loo covered in bits of wet motorcycle gear which I had to get back into afters. I walk out after god knows how long I had been in there, there was a different girl on the till than when I first went in which was a relief as I had really dashed in like a mad man.

I filled up the bike and hit the road again it was now dry and bit warmer and the wind had dropped or maybe I had come oblivious to it. I got to Edmonton just in time for rush hour, which was quite difficult as there where still strong gust of wind but this time with traffic to contend with. I went straight to Alberta Cycle to see about a service and new tyres for the bike and they told me to come back at 10am tomorrow and he will see if he can fit me in during the day which is excellent if this works as I was expecting not to be able to get anything done so fast.

Next to the hostel, which unlike all the others I have been to it was remarkably full, all they had was a space in a 2-man dorm still reasonable rate though. I went to get some food and I am now writing this and reflecting on the day I just looked at the internet and it says that it was gusting with winds of 25km/hr. currently but it had been as high as 50-75 km/hr. bloody hell and there where allegedly a couple of confirmed tornadoes today in the region I should have stayed in bed I am getting to old for this ;-0

Not many photos today as I was to busy fighting the weather and for the stats guys amongst you on average I am getting 21km per litre of fuel today it dropped to 15km per litre of fuel so it is not only me that was suffering but the bike had a tough day fighting into the wind as well so some TLC for her tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s